We provide UKAS Accredited asbestos services which includes asbestos surveys, reinspections, air monitoring and 4-stage clearances. Additionally, EDP support organisations through its remediation consultancy and asbestos awareness training programmes.
As a UK leader in providing UKAS Accredited asbestos solutions, our asbestos services fully complement our property compliance division to enable our clients to benefit from a full range of risk management and compliance solutions across their individual building or complete property portfolio requirements.
Our large team of asbestos management specialists are located in Edinburgh, Stafford and London which enables EDP to provide full geographical support for organisations with national property portfolios, as well as those with individual property concerns.
From surveys to assess the risks associated with asbestos, to remediation management, EDP provides the right approach to minimise as much disruption and to avoid, where possible, any shutdowns and unnecessary removals.
Our Asbestos surveys, air monitoring and 4 stage clearance services are UKAS Accredited and we work with organisations across a range of sectors including construction, utilities, retail, education, property management, healthcare and manufacturing as well as SMEs, public sector agencies and local authorities.
- UKAS Accredited management surveys to locate and risk assess the presence and extent of Asbestos Containing Materials (ACMs)
- UKAS Accredited refurbishment and demolition surveys required to locate and describe ACMs within the building or area
- UKAS Accredited re-inspections
- Asbestos in soil surveys and consultancy to identify and manage safe methods of work for contaminated sites
Strategy and Management Plans
- Asbestos management policies and plans
- Priority risk assessments and re-assessments
- Preparation of safe working methods
- Project management and audit of asbestos
- Accurate and detailed reporting for all stakeholders
- Liaison with regulators and local authorities
Air Monitoring & Site Reoccupation
- UKAS Accredited four-stage clearance testing
- UKAS Accredited reassurance monitoring
- UKAS Accredited background monitoring where asbestos is present
- UKAS Accredited leak testing during asbestos removals
- Witnessing smoke tests
- Commissioning of enclosure
- Visual inspections
- Site appraisal including pre-acquisition guidance of asbestos in the ground
- Comprehensive site investigations for asbestos
- Strategy and project planning to minimise disruption
- Guidance on management of controlled materials for onsite reuse
- Comprehensive documentation for planning conditions and protection of future site users
- Development and approval of site-wide remediation works
Data Management & Software
- Bespoke client software for dutyholders and estate managers
- Instant access to online surveys and management reporting
- Ability to track and update as a result of any asbestos changes to the property
- Asset management and future-proofing
- Asbestos awareness
- Duty to manage - appointed person
- Asbestos in soils awareness
- Non licensable and licensable work with asbestos
- RPE – Competent person
- Bespoke asbestos training
UNIVERSITY DEMANDS AND RECEIVES RESPONSIVE ASBESTOS MANAGEMENT SERVICES
The university is one of the UK’s foremost further education establishments and a leader in teaching and research in medicines, science, informatics, law, humanities and business among other disciplines.
It has a portfolio estate that includes teaching departments, lecture theatres, assembly rooms, places of worship, laboratories, libraries and accommodation widely used by its staff and students, as well as visitors and guests. The buildings are in constant use by a total of over 34,000 people throughout the year.
The university needed a managed asbestos services consultancy to help it develop an asbestos management strategy and then deliver appropriate services across all its properties.
The programme included the following activities:
- management surveys
- reassessment and demolition surveys
- air monitoring
- 4-stage clearances
- bulk sampling
- asbestos monitoring
- acting as the university’s analytical specialists during works
- reporting of any asbestos removal and on all aspects of analytical works on its properties.
In short, the university needed a consultancy that could meet its complete asbestos management requirements.
The decision to appoint our asbestos team* was based on our extensive technical expertise and experience in managing asbestos compliance issues across the UK for over 30 years, and specifically in large, geographically spread property portfolios.
This case study highlights the asbestos refurbishment requirements needed for the university’s teaching and research areas.
The team carried out intrusive asbestos refurbishment surveys on selected properties, as part of preparations for a full internal strip and complete refurbishment of the building.
In doing so they were able to obtain samples of suspect materials to identify those asbestos containing materials (ACM). The surveyors reported all actual, presumed and strongly presumed ACM; all suspected or strongly suspected ACM was required to be treated as though they actually contained asbestos and removed before construction work.
As the buildings were unoccupied, the asbestos site services team was able to conduct all works during office hours.
The team assigned a project manager to conduct a RAMS on the properties and project-specific risk assessments at the commencement of each day’s work.
The asbestos services site team recommended the following outcomes, which were carried through to achieve the required compliance:
Asbestos containing materials (ACM):
- Must be removed from any building or part of a building programmed for demolition
- Considered for removal if damaged or likely to be damaged during use or occupancy
- High material assessment scores be reduced by remedial action to take advantage of refurbishment works – remedial actions were listed in EDP’s report findings
As project managers throughout, working alongside the university’s estate manager, the asbestos site services team set out the actions required to achieve compliance and implemented safe working methods. In addition, they developed the management policies and plans for the university to achieve ongoing asbestos compliance for this particular site.
The team delivered a strategic and hands-on approach in managing and providing its technical expertise to the university, providing the assurance that those studying, working and visiting its main properties, are safeguarded from harmful asbestos contamination.
Successful outcomes were achieved with managed solutions, on time and within budget – and the team continue to deliver asbestos management solutions across the university’s full property portfolio.
*EDP acquired IOM Consulting Ltd's (IOM) asbestos services division on 26th May 2017. Under the acquisition, the 'Team' referenced are now employed by EDP, and their expertise complements EDP's existing full range of property compliance and risk management services.
EDP contributed its expertise in the latest edition of Health and…...
As one of the UK's leading health, safety and environment…...
Businesses have experienced a steep rise in health and safety fines…...
With the fast changing global landscape shifting the structure and…...
Changes to ISO 45001 delayed further - but it's still wise to…...